Next month sees the culmination of a year-long campaign by the Consejo Regulador D.O. Jerez and ICEX, the Spanish government agency that promotes exports and investment, to shine a sustained light on the opportunities that Sherry has for the premium on and off-trades through a mix of marketing, digital, trade, and promotional events that will all come together for the 10th Anniversary of International Sherry Week between November 6 and November 12. Fino 4 Foodies, the digital marketing campaign that looked to highlight Sherry and Fino wines, in particular, to the UK trade and consumer, launched in the summer and continues throughout October and November. Here we set the scene for what to expect during November’s International Sherry Week and how restaurants, bars, pubs and independent wine merchants can get involved with their own events, tastings and dinners.
The Fino 4 Foodies campaign has been made possible thanks to a joint initiative by the Consejo Regulador D.O. Jerez and ICEX, the Spanish government agency that promotes exports and investment. Click here to find out more about how Sherry Week is going to work and to register your venue and any events you are hosting.
“With further understanding and knowledge-sharing, there is hope for a sherry resurgence to make a meaningful impact with customers in restaurants, bars and beyond.” That was wine writer Sophia Longhi’s key takeaway during a special ‘Sherry 101’ webinar organised earlier this month by the Sherry Academy.
An event designed to give members of the UK wine trade, including wine buyers, sommeliers, wine merchants, writers and educators, the chance to better understand and personally taste all the main styles of Sherry, as well as get to know the range of free courses the Sherry Academy organises for wine professionals to take part in.
“It’s clear,” adds Longhi, “that sherry has the potential to captivate both devotees and the uninitiated of the wine trade. With further understanding and knowledge-sharing, there is hope for a sherry resurgence to make a meaningful impact with customers in restaurants, bars and beyond.”
That is very much the goal the Consejo Regulador D.O. Jerez and ICEX had when putting together the 2023 marketing and promotional campaign that comes to a crescendo this month with a whole host of activities and events for what will be the 10th annual International Sherry Week.
Fino 4 Foodies campaign
The promotion all started earlier in the year with the Fino 4 Foodies campaign that looked to challenge and change the perception of Sherry in the UK and how and when consumers drink it. An initiative that was also about driving new business to UK restaurants, bars retailers and independent wine merchants.
The key message of Fino 4 Foodies is how well Sherry, especially Fino, can be paired with such a wide variety of dishes and cuisines and hopefully work well with any tasting and food events being put on by restaurants, bars and retailers. A way to bring fresh, incremental business to those venues as well as introduce new drinks, cocktails and styles of Sherry for their customers to enjoy.
The campaign continues with a dedicated Fino 4 Foodies UK microsite that includes a ‘Sherry Spots‘ section featuring Sherry outlets and venues across the country. Participating outlets have been able to include direct links for customers to buy specific bottles of Sherry from their online websites.
The Fino 4 Foodies microsite also includes a whole section featuring different dishes, each with its own full recipe and how to bring the dishes together, along with a recommendation of which style of Sherry would be best served with it, like Bruschetta with Peaches, Ricotta Cheese and Jamón Ibérico with Fino, or Chargrilled Galician Style Octopus with Manzanilla. It also shows how
Sherry can be used in cocktails with a number of recipe ideas.
International Sherry Week
The 10th International Sherry Week starts on November 6 and the chance for the UK wine industry to get behind a global event that in the past has seen half a million wine lovers take part in over 18,000 events in 40 different countries.
Anyone involved in the wine industry – from top-end restaurants to independent wine merchants – has the chance to make sure their business is making the most of this great PR opportunity, organised by CRDO Jerez-Xérès-Sherry and Manzanilla, to bring Sherry to your customers through special tastings, events, dinners and promotions.
How to take part
Anyone organising a Sherry Week tasting or event can ask to receive a special sustainable merchandising pack to help bring your Sherry promotion to life. The pack includes Sherry Week aprons for your team, tote bags for your customers, tasting mats and official Sherry Week posters. But note only 150 are available so make sure you register ASAP*.
You can also register your event on the Sherry Week website, which will be promoted in publications including MOB and Time Out and through a wide range of national and regional PR, and digital adverts. Register Your Event Here
All Sherry Week UK 2023 events are featured on the dedicated website here that also includes background information on Sherry, the styles, the region, tourism, marketing materials, a tasting guide, food pairings, cultural events, and plenty more.
If you’d like to learn more about how to take advantage of this year’s activities and would like to participate, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who is doing what
Here are some of the highlights of events and activities that have already been announced in key cities across the UK that will hopefully make it the biggest, most exciting and best-tasting Sherry Week yet.
- A Sherry Week Celebration at Meson Don Felipe (Southwark, SE1) and a chance to enjoy a complimentary tapas with every glass of Sherry bought.
- A Sherry Discovery Experience at Ibérica Victoria (SW1), which includes a selection of five different Sherries, each paired with savoury nibbles from the restaurant’s own delicatessen.
- Sherry and Pintxo at Barrica Tapas Bar (Soho, W1T), a chance to sample seasonal dishes crafted from the freshest market ingredients and paired with various Sherry styles.
- A Sherry Pairing Experience at Fin & Grape (EH10 5DP) with four Sherries paired with sharing plates created by the owner and head chef.
- Every Day is Sherry Day at Cork & Cask (EH9 1AQ) which is offering bespoke cocktail and food pairing recommendations all week to highlight the versatility of Sherry wines.
- Sherry Week Specials at Vermut Bar (Cardiff CF10 1EB) with by-the-glass Sherry offers, including some VORS wines by the glass.
- Sherry Flights at Bar 44 Penarth (Penarth CF64 1JH) showcasing three different Sherry styles.
- You can register any events you are hosting for Sherry Week here.
- Find out more about Sherry Week here.
- If you’d like to learn more about how to take advantage of this year’s activities and would like to participate, please get in touch with Brisc at email@example.com.
- To qualify for the merchandise pack, your event must feature at least three Sherries, including one or more Sherry wines from the D.Os of Jerez-Xeres-Sherry or Manzanilla Sanlúcar de Barrameda, to qualify to be registered as part of International Sherry Week. The event should also aim to educate consumers about different Sherry styles and the region. There is no limit to the number of events you may register.