When The Buyer came together with Sophie Jump to organise and hold the inaugural One Step Beyond Conference in early March the focus was 100% on analysing the most disruptive changes in consumer behaviour and technology. Little did we know that just over two months on so many of those changes have now been put on fast forward because of the Covid-19 outbreak. Here is the full report from what was a breakthrough conference for the drinks, retail and hospitality sectors. A day that brought experts from outside the industry’s comfort zone and gave them the platform to set out what we can all expect from consumers and technology in the future. Predictions that are already being seen in how fast businesses and consumers alike are responding to the challenges of Covid-19.
The world has moved more in the last two months that it might have done in five years without Covid-19. What were the most disruptive consumer trends and technologies in February are now fast becoming embedded in the way we now live our lives. It make the key findings from the breakthrough One Step Beyond conference, organised by The Buyer with Sophie Jump, even more of a must read.
What it was about
The One Step Beyond conference set out to help anyone involved in the drinks industry – from producers, brand owners, importers, suppliers and retailers, to bar and restaurant operators – to stop, listen and look ahead to the future. It was designed to take the drinks industry outside its comfort zone and expose it to the big changes taking place in consumer behaviour.
To do so it combined keynote talks from experts in the most transformative areas, including e-commerce, voice search, digital, design and packaging, with the personal experiences of leading figures within the drinks industry who have a track record of succeeding in tackling these changes head on in their own companies.
Who: Keynote speakers
- Future trends in e-commerce, omni-channel retail and role of social: Naji Al Arifi of Wunderman Thompson Commerce.
- How voice and new technology is shifting consumer behaviour and business life: James Poulter, Vixen Labs.
Diving into Digital – The landscape, the opportunities, the challenges, and the way forward: Paul Mabray, Emetry.
- How packaging and design can still push the boundaries: James Harmer, Nicki Sherlock, Touch Pack Design.
How to engage and entertain consumers in the future: Kevin Shaw, chief executive and founder,Stranger & Stranger:
- The future of retail – what’s next for both online and offline retailing: Simon Mayhew, head of online retail insight, The Institute of Grocery Distribution (IGD)
- Polly Hammond, managing director and founder, 5 Forests.
- Illy Jaffar, founder, Kinetic Communications.
- James Balcazar, digital and social media manager, EMEA, for Treasury Wine Estates.
- Lucy Auld, head of marketing for Freixenet Copestick.
- Robert Joseph, wine producer and writer.
- Liam Hirt, co-founder, Circumstance Distillery.
- Rollo Gabb, managing director, Journeys End and London Restaurant Group.