If we all had a pound for every time we were told the “story” behind a particular brand, wine or spirt then we would not have to work at all. But there is a big difference between how interesting, relevant and captivating a product story might be. Then there’s the skill in how you actually tell that story. Which is what the People’s Choice Drinks Awards ‘Story Behind The Label’ competition is all about. The chance for brands, and drinks companies entering the awards, to also tell the story behind their liquid in its video competition which is being opened up to the spirits sector for the first time this year. Here’s what spirits brands have to do to enter and why The Buyer is delighted to be the main category sponsor for both the wine and spirits categories.
The Story Behind the Label competition, in partnership with The Buyer, has proved a popular category to win in the People’s Choice Wine Awards which is why it has been extended to cover spirits for the 2022 awards. The wine video competition opens in October.
How good are you at telling a story? Are buyers and customers waiting on every word as you explain how your particular spirit came to be and just why they need to list it in their particular store or restaurant?
Well whether you are a good raconteur or not this is an opportunity to showcase your brand in a way that might bring it to the attention of a whole new audience.
The People’s Choice Spirits Awards is opening up the Story Behind the Label video competition to any brand or business that is entering products into the main drinks categories this year. What’s more it’s free to enter and, like the wine competition, a shortlist of four videos will be selected to be shown as part of the main awards ceremony with invited guests asked to vote for their winner.
The video stories have become a key part of the wine awards and it is hoped opening the category up to spirits will generate a lot of interest from brands that put so. much investment in their marketing and storytelling. Janet Harrison, founder of the People’s Choice Drinks Awards, says “it is also a way to showcase and celebrate hard working and passionate producers from around the world and help provide some insight into ‘the story behind the label’. We’d like to share your stories and would love to hear from you”.
Richard Siddle, editor-in-chief of The Buyer, says: “Video has become a key part of any brand’s marketing strategy, but it is very hard to get right. The Story Behind The Label category gives brand owners the chance to tell their story in a maximum of two minutes in a way they feel best captures the spirit, the culture and what the brand is all about. The Buyer looks forward to sharing and promoting the four shortlisted videos and others that we feel deserve wider attention. We are not looking for Hollywood productions, but great storytelling told in a creative and original way.”
How it works
- All videos submitted will be assessed by a specialist panel and the Round 2 professional judges in the competition.
- They will produce a shortlist of four videos, which will subsequently be screened live as part of the PCSA ceremony. If your video has been selected you will be told by January 10 2021.
- The competition is exclusive to PCSA so the videos need to have been specifically made for the awards and not shared until after the main awards ceremony on January 17 2022.
- Everyone attending the awards ceremony will have a chance to vote for their favourite video shown during the evening.
- After the ceremony, all shortlisted videos will be uploaded to the People’s Choice Drinks Awards YouTube Channel with special reference to the winner.
- The shortlisted videos will also be shared on The Buyer’s social media channels and on its YouTube channel.
- The winner will also be interviewed and featured in a profile on The Buyer.
Ideas for content
The competition does not require brand owners to make a big investment in the overall quality of the production. It is how you tell the story that counts. Try and make it as personal as possible so the judges can really understand and get to know the people, the emotions and what it has taken to get the brand to market. It could be about how the brand is made and the distiller and producer behind it. Please note sales or marketing videos which are professionally made and lack the warmth and personal touch are unlikely to make the shortlist.
How to enter
The video can be sent in any digital format (not DVD or on a hard drive) or be on an existing YouTube/Vimeo link. It must be a maximum two minutes in length.
If you have any questions about the category, content or need further guidance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Winning wine videos
To help give you and idea of the videos that did well in the People’s Choice Wine Awards here are the two videos from the 2020 and 2021 awards.
2020 Winner: Paso Primero by founder Tom Holt
2021 Winner: Hidden Sea
Other shortlisted videos
- To find all the categories for the People’s Choice Spirits Awards click here.
- For the video category click here.
- Entries for 2022 are now open and cost £80 per product. Click here to enter.
- Online entries close on October 11 2021 and deliveries will be accepted from October 1 to 29, 2021.